| Molly Sez
Friday, November 20, 2020
This morning at breakfast, Molly told me that she has decided to be Asian.

“I’m not sure you know what that means”, I told her, “Why have you decided to be Asian?”

She said that yesterday, at the dog park, she met a really nice dog who said he was Asian, so she’s decided that she will be Asian too.

I tried to explain to her that it doesn’t quite work that way – you can’t just decide to be Asian. You either are, or you’re not.

“Why not?” she pressed on, pouting slightly.

It took a while to stifle my laughter. Then, in the kindest possible way, I explained that if you have Asian ancestors, and you’re born in Asia, then you’re Asian. “You could also be something like ‘Asian American’, if your ancestors are Asian, but you are born in America. No matter how nice Asian dogs might be, you don’t have Asian ancestors, and you were born here, so, you’re not Asian.”

All she said was, “I’m Asian”, and then walked away.

So, I guess I have an Asian dog. We’ll see if she’s still Asian after she meets a nice dog from Brazil, or Germany, or Nigeria.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Older Post  |  Home  |  Newer Post
 
;